26A: Celebrating Failure
Celebrating my Failure:
- The Failure:
- Early on in this semester, a failure overtook my ability to control both my academics and my future. Every spring, UF Engineering holds C.D.W; or career development workshop where undergrad CS, CPE, and EE majors can go and attempt to sell yourselves and interview with big shot companies like Walmart, Ultimate Software, and even the likes of the NSA. So I went, and when it was my turn to sit down with a team-member of Ultimate Software and sell myself, I froze. I stammered, sweat, and stuttered through each and every question until I shook the recruiters hand and left. I prepared myself intensely for the questions and knowledge but putting it into practice was an entirely other story.
- The Wisdom:
- I guess what I took most from this experience was that preparation means nothing in place of resolve to meet every opportunity head on. I'd say that the biggest take-away from that experience was that I have to through away any self doubt I have when I tackle new ventures.
- The Reflection:
- I tend to handle failure by internalizing it, and molding how I feel about it into future scenarios similar to how I experienced the failure; essentially cataloging it into how I think and act later on. Thanks to this class however, I realize that failure is an inevitability, and that as a result I should be open to taking on more risks.
I feel like most people are taught that failure is this disatrous thing that happens and you can never come back from it. But honestly its all about the situation and your mindset. if you'r open to failure, then when it happens, which happens to everyone, you're mentally prepared for it and can take the lessons into consideration in the future.
ReplyDeleteThough the thought of failure can be daunting, understanding the value and lessons of failure should not be ignored, nor unappreciated. Many people associate failure with shame, but shame only deters you from doing things. One of the main ways I've learned to deal with shame is discussing failures with those close to me and sharing experience stories.
ReplyDeleteFailure is one tough obstacle and judging from your story you experienced a very traumatic one. Especially that you put so much effort into making sure something like this didn’t happen and what do you know it ended up happening. I think that the moral of this story is that failure can happen even if you prepare for it, but at the same time you can’t let that stop you achieving new heights.
ReplyDeleteI agree that once you throw away self-doubt, you’ll be able to able to effectively take things to hang on. I had a similar problem with preparing myself for a presentation for one of my classes and once I got up there, I immediately forgot everything and lost my train of thought throughout the presentation. But once you get away self-doubt it’s way easier.
ReplyDelete