Friday, March 29, 2019

21A: Reading Reflection No.2

An Analysis of The Wright Brothers

1.)
  • The general theme of the book was the Wright Brother's emerging sense of market diversity and ingenuity. The theme of the book plays out from the drive that Wilbur Wright experiences after his injury at university, causing both him and his brother to develop a drive to  compete in the business world; first with a bike store, and second with their aviation.
2.)
  • The book resonated with the values learned from ENT3003 by suggesting that innovation can come from a lack of something, and that often times the necessities of life can become the driving force in entrepreneurship.
3.)
  • An exercise I would design would be to create plans for a personal workshop in which the person would have to outline the faculties of their business and what might make their talents more sought out than their competitors.
4.)
  • The most surprising thing I managed to pick up from this literature was that many people might well have lost the drive necessary to work towards a better life from an injury like Wilbur's, but he managed to perceiver and create an innovation so great his name will always be tied to aviation all because of his entrepreneurial hustle and brilliance. 

3 comments:

  1. Wow! It seems like you read a very interesting book. Your number 2 response, sharing that the book suggested the root of innovation stemming from the lack of something, is a very accurate claim that seems to be a common theme among creative introductory books about entrepreneurship. I think these books tend to encourage seeking inspiration in places by finding struggles in your own life and in others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read the whole story of the Wright Brothers, I just know the basics and what I remember from my history class. I do know that their story is one of those inspiring stories where all odds are against them but they still manage to have the courage and perseverance to leave something memorable behind for society to look to as an example. This book is definitely one of the books I'd like to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose to read a different story so your reflection was very interesting! I know a little about the Wright Brothers but not more than what you wrote about. I didn't know about his injury and it is inspiring to see how they pulled through. I think your exercise for the class would be extremely beneficial to students. I think you did a great job analyzing what it takes to innovate, including what you have learned in ENT3003. Great work!

    ReplyDelete