Saturday, January 12, 2019

2A: Things that bug me :(


The Stuff That Bugs Me

  1. Planned Obsolescence. The pacing of technology via Moore's Law indicates that by each years end, the capabilities of our devices should be doubled, yet so many corporations design their products to be inefficient the longer they are used in an effort to push consumers to buy each new iteration of their service / product.
  2. Retail Quota. In the commercial retail industry employees are meant to not only service customers but also shovel keynote products onto them; and should the consumer decline the offer, the employee faces reprimands for the actions of the customer. The practice occurs to attempt to drive profit up but the failure lies in the fact that a quota system invalidates the integrity of the product pushed.
  3. Commercial Furniture Screws. During the construction of furniture, many plants use uniquely designed screws to make their furniture, resulting in owners of the furniture being unable to unscrew or fix the furniture should such a need occur. It is the result of corporate greed in an attempt to urge people to buy another set / purchase the screw/ screwdriver through them.
  4. Modern Car Dealerships. Most car dealerships of current will not allow a car to be sold or leased without the use of multi-mont payment plan rather than through a straight deposit via cash or check. The "why" is because the payment plans cause the dealership to gain more profit from the payment plan that quietly scams the owner.
  5. Wet Wipes. Wet Wipes aren't inherently buggy, but the ones that advertise being flushable are. Some 90+% of these so called flushable wipes still clog your septic tank; and that just gives Huggies a bad name. Obviously this is done for corporate gain.
  6. Inter-State Highway Traffic. For the amount of timing that takes place on these roads, you'd think they're would be more of a focus on accidents. Whenever an accident occurs, you'll surely be late by an hour but those same officers who are payed (mostly) by the tickets they give surely can't be bothered to assist the civilians attempting to bypass an accident.
  7. Professor's Textbook Lists. Often times a professor would briefly mention a textbook required for a course on syllabus day, but lo-and behold! It's a book published and written by them! They force students who already pay tuition to go out their way to buy their material while taking their class. It's quite obviously done for monetary gain and ego building.
  8. Facebook. Most users of this social network wouldn't even care that Mark Zuckerburg publicly sells their private information to corporations and those with the highest bid. The meat and potatoes of why Facebook does it is to please shareholders and fill their pockets.
  9. Apple / Tech Companies' Cables. Many tech companies (but most notoriously Apple) design their phones/laptops to require brand new cables that are incompatible with standard ones forcing people to go and buy one to use their already purchased device. It's always done to increase profit.
  10. Gainesville Parking. I understand that public service could always stand to be better, but UF is the bottom of the barrel in terms of parking. Decals cost an arm and a leg and good luck finding a spot in Fall/Spring. The reason it remains so poor is UF's commitment to keep a dilapidated, rustic campus.
  11. Airport TSA. The security methods that are meant to keep us safe are the very things that cause an outrage when flying. The abysmal success rate of the TSA doesn't come close to making up for the waits it creates. TSA exists in the first place as a way to appease the public.
  12.  Senior Citizen Discounts. Most restaurants and other places of business happen to include these, but the patrons who use them take an obscene amount of time ordering , complaining , or questioning things. In some cases it can result in more customers feeling poor than the people getting the discounts. These discounts are usually done to help public opinion.
  13. Commercials. Commercial breaks are necessary for networks to remain afloat, but these networks also get payed by viewer count / cable. So why is it every show is infested with so many despite networks getting more than enough viewership?
  14. Washing Machines. These detergent hungry, power guzzling machines often leak and have a multitude of issues. They are improper in their duties because of developer oversight.
  15. Lightbulbs. From LED to standard wattage Lightbulbs are few and far between when it comes to what houses them. Without the correct stand any lightbulb you might buy could be worthless. This is done due to planned obsolescence. 
  16. Pollution. With the tatters of the ozone layer and the greenhouse gases inhabiting our stratosphere, commercial production only increases. It is being done to fuel supply and demand.
  17. News Outlets. Current localized TV houses either far left or far right viewpoints that usually cater to older baby boomers. This is obviously done to polarize news and spark new attention / gain new views.
  18. Turlington-Pamplet People. It's already stressful enough to deal with classes, social lives, and making to to class on time, but these people don't care and will speak and hand you things whether you'd like to give them your time or not. It's always done to promote something or other.
  19. Evangelicals. It goes right along with #18 , but the worsts are Televangelists, the preachers who use religion to shroud their greed with their on air packages. They're actions are done for money.
  20.  Rent. Most Gainesville leases separate rent from utilities in larger complexes despite how easily grouped together they are. As for why, i'm not to sure; my best guess would be laziness / profit from lack of maintenance.
Reflection: I honestly didn't find composing this list quite challenging. I constantly ask myself how I would change society for it to work better as cocky as that sounds. Some problems were very similar but I felt the need to distinguish them to highlight just how much it "bugs" me.

2 comments:

  1. I genuinely enjoyed this post. I know the things that bug you shouldn't bring me so much joy but as I went down the list, so much was relatable and that is what made this such a fun read. Some issues really stuck out to me, such as the furniture screws. I have tried to repair or exchange pieces and items and have quite an extensive screw headset. Without a doubt, the company has constructed a configuration I have never seen, for the consumer to have to go through them to get anything done correctly. From the business side, I understand the creation of demand. But on the consumer side, I am quite frustrated. Secondly, the professor and their textbooks scenario have become more and more popular, and I believe it is a shameless plug. I appreciate a recommendation of a textbook to help me go deeper into the material. But essentially forcing a student body to purchase your work to bring selfish profit is almost an abuse of position.
    I too wrote about the annoyance to the commercials during television viewing. I was wondering if there would ever be an XM television. Commercial free and constant shows. The FX channel does a great job as many of the movies are commercial free, but you still have the commercials between shows.
    I have given up on parking on campus. I either ride a bike or longboard as the tickets were annoying or I was circling parking spots in homes to squeeze by a dumpster. The parking is costly and to still have to hope to find a park close to your dorm or anywhere on campus is just too much.
    I wish you a successful semester and I thank you for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with the bugs, especially planned obsolescence. Each time I purchase a piece of new technology, I hope that it will last longer, but this never happens. I also agree with your issue with Gainesville Parking- there is a massive lack of parking space for the number of students. Also, your #18 bug, Turlington Pamphlet People, is one that obviously occurs due to the number of foot traffic in that location. I do feel that the information they have could be distributed more efficiently. Personally, I have no particular issue with the current commercial count, nor lightbulbs. This goes to show that bugs are not the same to everyone. Relating to lecture, entrepreneurial solutions are not made to solve problems for everyone.
    That compiling this list was an easy task for you is proof that you likely have an entrepreneurial mindset. Tendency to take note of common bugs in society is incredibly useful for finding solutions. From this list, there are many potential solutions, some easier than others.

    ReplyDelete