Thursday, January 24, 2019

6A: Identifying Opportunities in Regulatory and Economic Trends

Four Opportunistic Trends:

  • Trend One: Biometric Security
    • My mind first jumped to this opportunity after reading it from this specific article. Modern technology continues to evolve and find ways to assist and in some cases invade day to day life. Which is why I believe there exists an economic opportunity to improve antiquated homeowner security measures. With biometric enhanced doors and security systems perturbing all standard means of breaking and entering, I believe the customer base would be upper middle class suburban families all the way to the higher economic sector of things like banks and firms. It would be difficult to develop a standard U.I and servicing price, but it is heavily exploitable as there exists no current market for it. I saw the idea for this opportunity since I've always been pretty into security systems and wanting to make a futuristic one.
  • Trend Two: Biodegradable Straws
    • This specific opportunity relates to both economic and regulatory changes, but I would argue more towards regulatory (Source here). With topics like global warming steadily rising in our society and talks of renewable energy being the way forward, many fast food companies and restaurants alike will have to comply with upcoming policies, and marketplaces more inclined to shop conscientiously with green companies. McDonalds is even moving away from plastic straws and onto paper straws shortly, which proves that this opportunity exists on a huge scale. This products primary customers would be dinners and people going out to eat, and with shareholder backing a full on production of paper straws would be very easy to accomplish. The reason I saw this opportunity is because of the devolving politics and the increasing pressure from top scientists warning of humanity's consumption, and plastic being the biggest contributor.
  • Trend Three: Smart Glasses
    • The economic opportunity I identified through here and brief look at the current generation smart devices. The technology is there to create smart devices in the form of TV's, Refrigerators, and even watches, so it's a natural extension to go to something like glasses.  The customer base would essentially mimic the current buyers of smart tech but for those with a need for glasses or hands of displays. The endeavor would definitely be difficult due to the ability to make the chips and a passable U.I , but it is doable with effort and backing. I saw this opportunity due to the equally cool but less tech heavy glasses like the SnapGlasses, and realizing the only thing necessary was innovating a unique processor for the features.
  • Trend Four: Waste Vaporizer
    • This regulatory opportunity definitely follows along with waste disposal regulation, and takes a spin on it with some innovation. The opportunity surely exists as detailed in this article, and talks about using plasma to vaporize trash and convert it into gas. The opportunity surely exists due to the fact that American landfills are as polarizing as they are full. Customers would be the solid waste authority and other government waste disposable agencies. The opportunity is unimaginably hard to realize due to the process being incomplete, but with proper research and implementation the profit margins would be inconceivably high. I realized this opportunity as early as when I went on a field trip to the dump and they spoke on the need for technology to assist with human waste.

3 comments:

  1. The waste vaporizer trend is not one I’ve heard of before, but it sounds as though it could be a possible solution to an increasingly difficult problem to solve. As for the biodegradable straws, I’ve been seeing this introduced in more and more chains. I am curious as to whether this trend will eventually extend to other areas of environmental concern, or if it will end at straws.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When reading your post, I immediately was captivated by the ingenuity of some of these new business ideas and trends. They seem like things of the future- but I have to tell myself that the future really is now and we must think about "what happens next" in order to make true opportunity. The big thing about a lot of these is that they're so costly, but I wonder how developers will look for alternatives to make them cheaper and more feasible in the future. We really do need more biodegradable things- a lot of Americans underestimate the amount of waste we produce, but its really really shocking. I'm hoping to see more development of all these trends as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I support this post and will specifically touch on the biometric security and biodegradable straws. Regarding the security, I believe technology has taken leaps to improve security but also make it easier for the user. Methods like voice recognition, finger print access, and even retinal recognition are ways that really lock in on the individual wanting access but steer away from the traditional passwords and passcodes that had to be remembered. As stated, this will initially only be available for middle class and up, but is a trend worth following.
    Secondly, the green initiative that has consumed the world. As studies continue to be released about the dangers are future holds due to careless living, more attention has been taken to slow the process down. Plastic is everywhere and continues to be used and discarded incorrectly. Companies have started to use biodegradable materials to make sure that even if the waste isn't properly disposed of, the footprint of that item will be extremely small. I believe this is a huge trend to watch in many different areas but will be one for the greater good of humanity in the long run.

    ReplyDelete